This is a position within the Content Warehouse (CWH) Services development team. The candidate will have a primary focus on supporting all aspects of agile software design and development for the CWH, to include development of new capabilities, testing, optimization and performance tuning, operation, and sustainment functions. This entails leveraging and incorporating corporate tools that assist software development.
Core Competencies and Skills:
• Java programming for distributed systems, with experience in networking and multi-threading
• Apache Hadoop
• Apache Accumulo
• Apache NiFi
• Agile development experience
• Well-grounded in Linux fundamentals and knowledge in at least one scripting language (e.g.,
Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.)
• Experience with source code management practices and tools
• Enabling tools: Git, Maven, Jira
• Continuous Integration / Continuous Testing: Bamboo, Jenkins, GitLab Cl/Pipelines
• Continuous Monitoring: ELK Stack (ElasticSearch, Logstash and Kibana), Nagios
• Familiarity with microservices software development technique and container-orchestration (e.g., Kubernetes)
As a CWH Software Engineer, you are expected to perform requirements analysis, software development, installation, integration, evaluation, enhancement, maintenance, testing, and problem diagnosis/resolution at a high level of proficiency and independence. You are expected to communicate directions and provide guidance to more junior programmer/analysts, as required. CWH Software Engineers must be adept at developing solutions which integrated or extended COTS or GOTS products. Additionally, Software Engineers may be responsible for evaluating project needs, determining tasks and durations, and generating and reviewing designs for technical accuracy, completeness.
The Software Engineer develops, maintains, and enhances complex and diverse software systems (e.g., processing-intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real- time systems, and business management information systems) based upon documented requirements. Works individually or as part of a team. Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results. Resolves software problem reports. Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment. Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Commercial Off- the-shelf (COTS)/Government Off-the-shelf (GOTS) in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components.
Fourteen (14) years experience as a SWE in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity is required. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Four (4) years of additional SWE experience on projects with similar software processes may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
Four (4) years demonstrated experience developing software with high level languages such as Java, C, C++, etc.
Demonstrated ability to work experience with OpenSource (NoSQL) products such as Hbase /Accumulo, Big Table, et cetera.
At least three (3) years of experience developing software for UNIX/Linux (Redhat versions 3-5) operating systems.
Demonstrated experience developing RESTful services
- Design or implement complex algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing, system resource, or interface constraints; Perform quality control on team products
- Implement recommendations for improving documentation and software development process standards
- Oversee one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project
- Confer with system engineers and hardware engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces
- Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure operational specifications are met